Saturday, December 10, 2005

Honolulu, Hawaii

Last week Friday I met with Karim K. to learn how to perform the correct physical gestures that accompany Muslim prayers. Karim is the Vice President of the Muslim Association, and next Spring he will be teaching the new course that I developed, "Islam in Africa, Asia, and the Middle East."

Today I went to the local mosque for the Friday midday prayers. Afterwards I met briefly with Hakim O. (a Moroccan and the President of the Muslim Association) and I had a very nice, long visit with Ismail, the imam of the mosque. He explained that things are tense in Egypt right now, and not because of the elections or the violence that has accompanied them, but because of the US occupation of Iraq. He recommended that I tell people I'm Canadian and suggested that I only visit mosques between prayers. He also strongly suggested that I get a guide for anything I do in Egypt and that I not wander out into the country alone.

Brother Ismail may actually be in Cairo while I am there, and he has generously offered to show me around. His generosity comes in addition to the help being offered me by Frank Abou-Sayf, whose family friends own a hotel in Cairo, and Lee Siegel, who has taught UH Study Abroad courses in Seville, Spain and has already hooked me up with some good people there. I really appreciate everyone's time and help!