Friday, March 17, 2006


Jerusalem

Alright. I'll undo the moderation function. But I accept NO responsibility for the goofy things people say on this blog -- not even the goofy things I say!

Food update: I haven't had a meal worthy of mention since my Sinai sea bass -- until tonight. It was a simple meal of skewered chicken and hummus, but damn it was good! In Morocco, Egypt, and Jordan, the hummus was always way too salty for my taste (but it must be said that the Egyptians make a particularly good baba ganoush). Tonight, at a Lebanese restaurant, the hummus was absolutely delicious. And the skewered chicken was grilled to perfection with some interesting spices -- maybe a little cinnamon and cardamom? I don't know what the spices were (and the chef wouldn't tell me), but it was the best meal I've had in a couple of weeks!

Barakabaka, I don't think I'm worried about offending my readers so much as miscommunicating with them (I want them to be offended for all the right reasons). My own "appreciation" of Jerusalem's religious spectacle comes from years of academic study, but there's no reason a tourist couldn't feel a similar appreciation -- and I'm sure many do. It is an appreciation that is condescending, but not mocking. I am laughing at "human" behavior rather than laughing at the humans themselves. But in the end, I am still laughing. And, no doubt, still worried.

(Photo by Eric: Purim, Ben Yehuda Street, Jerusalem)