Tuesday, January 03, 2006


Madrid, Spain

After spending the day amidst the work of Spain´s great 20th century artists (Picasso, Dali, Bruñuel, and many others), I found myself outside a bar called the Hawaiiano last night. The interior was a combination of a bad Hollywood movie set and a nightmare. I ordered a drink called a Honolulu. You know, a Honolulu. It was exactly what you would expect -- rum (that quintessential Hawaiian drink) and some sugary sweet syrupy stuff. They were playing traditional Hawaiian music (Bob Marley) and serving typical Hawaiian pupus (coldcuts and chocolate). It was not unlike a Bruñuel film.

I´m enjoying everyone´s comments -- especially given the fact that I´m not exactly certain who all of you are. Don´t be intimidated by my intellectual friends. As long as they´re wearing their muzzles, they don´t bite. The Director, on the other hand, is a frightening character. He did, however, name me Scholar-in-Residence for AJ´s Advanced Institute of (http://ajsadvancedinstituteof.blogspot.com/), and for this I am eternally grateful. Although I am still waiting for the grant money...

(Image from Internet: La Muchacha en la Ventana, Salvador Dalí)