Saturday, January 28, 2006


Meknés, Morocco

I spent yesterday (Friday) visiting every saint's tomb, mosque and madrassa in Meknés. I went to the mausoleums of Moulay Ismail (1672-1727) (the first Alawite monarch of Morocco and the founder of the current ruling dynasty) and Sidi ben Aisa (a Sufi saint whose followers are renowned for their consumption of such delicacies as broken glass, poisonous snakes, and boiling water -- although, as a non-Muslim in Morocco, I wasn't invited to lunch). I also visited the Grande Mosquée and the Medersa Bou Inania. Although I was blocked from entering the mosque, the caretaker waved me right into the madrassa where I wandered around unaccompanied for over an hour.

Tomorrow, Rabat, where I am scheduled to meet with the Vice President of Muhammad V University on Monday (the scheduling of which has thrown off much of my Morocco visit, requiring me to spend extra time in Fez, and causing me to cut short my stay in Marrakesh. Bitter? Yes. But it is nothing a little financial assistance from KCC couldn't cure...)

(Photo by Eric: Mausoleum of Moulay Ismail, Meknes, Morocco)