Friday, January 20, 2006

Fez, Morocco

After a beautiful three hour train ride I arrived in Algeciras, Spain yesterday and caught the ferry to Tangier, Morocco, passing by the Rock of Gibraltar (it looks nothing like the Prudential Insurance ad from the back side). I spent yesterday afternoon and evening wandering the streets of Tangier. I am pleased to report that the tangerines of Tangier are delicious (I am referring to the fruit, not the inhabitants of the town, who were a little salty).

Today I spent five hours on the train to Fez, passing bright green fields and impoverished villages. As with the tangerines of Tangier, you will be relieved to learn that the men of Fez do, in fact, wear fezes. They also wear these dramatic, Druid-like robes with pointy hoods. I stopped into a shop today to see how much they cost, but the sales clerk refused to believe that I actually wanted one. I thought it would help me blend in better than the red, white, and blue "These colors don't run!" leather jacket that I am currently sporting.

I seem to be getting the hang of this keyboard, although my typing has been cut down to one tenth its normal speed. Otherwise, all is well. I am happy, completely healthy, and learning much more than I ever could from a book.

Ma'a s-salàma!

(Photo by Eric: Detail from the gateway to the Dar el-Makhzen Royal Palace, Fez el-Jdid, Morocco)