Wednesday, January 04, 2006


Córdoba, Spain

I have arrived in beautiful Córdoba, home of the famous Grand Mosque of Córdoba with its rows of red and white arched columns. I spent all day yesterday in the Prado Museum of Madrid. It was absolutely amazing! El Greco, Goya (including El Tres de Mayo and Saturno Devorando a Su Hijo), Velázquez (including, of course, Las Meninas), Bosch (including the bizarre Garden of Earthly Delights), Rubens (including The Three Graces), Botticelli, Tintoretto, Titian, and many, many other great artists filled the halls with their extraordinary works.

I was particularly struck by the large number of paintings dedicated to the cosmic lactation of the Virgin Mother´s breasts: the Holy Virgin suckling the baby Jesus; the Holy Virgin suckling various saints down through the ages; the Virgin Mary feeding Saint Bernard with a Hail Mary of milk (aptly named); and the Holy Virgin showering Purgatory with her salvific leche. Who knew?

Mark will be happy to learn that I´ve been treating myself to some delicious cuisine, including paella last night in Madrid and salmon today in Córdoba. The Spaniards, I am happy to report, are beer drinkers, but last night I enjoyed some sangria with my paella today I enjoyed a delicious white wine with my salmon.

Depending on the number of sites I can visit tomorrow, I may stay another night in Córdoba before continuing on to Sevilla.

¡Hasta Pronto!

(Image from Internet: El Milagro de San Bernardo, Alonso Cano)